After the Second World War, a company in Germany wanted to expand outside the country, into North America.
The Wiarton Town Council had sent invitation letters to Chambers of Commerce in Germany, and Hans Heidolph Sr. decided to include Wiarton in their expedition to find a North American location.
In 1954, they decided on Wiarton, and then set out to find a location for a factory. Unable to find the "sturdy foundations" they were looking for in the light industry buildings in town, they were directed to the old "Colonial Portland Cement" factory on the waterfront nearby. The factory had been closed for years, but was of solid concrete construction.
The Heidolphs purchased the property and refurbished the buildings. For the largest building they took detailed measurements and had new roof trusses fabricated in Germany and shipped over.
The intent was to continue the Heidolph's motor-winding business in the new location, so they named the company "Canadian Fractional Motors". A fractional motor is a small motor with only a fraction of a horsepower, for example a 1/10 horsepower. Motors of this size are typically used in household appliances and laboratory mixers.
In 1955 the new business was started, manufacturing and distributing heaters, fans, and laboratory stirrers.
The founders were Hans Heidolph Senior, his son Hans Heidolph Jr, and his son-in-law Doctor Rudolph Zinsser. In 1964, Hans Heidolph Jr. was appointed President.
In 1994, Tony Solecki joined the company as General Manager, and in 1996 purchased the company.
For a detailed history of the Caframo property see www.postcard.wiarton.ca/wiarton6.html